Pages

Sunday, September 2, 2012

The Witchy Worries of Abbie Adams

Author: Rhonda Hayter
Publisher: Dial Books For Young Readers 2010



Abbie Adams would be described as a normal fifth grade girl who wants to be an actress, has a grumpy teacher, and too much homework. She just happens to be a witch along with the rest of her family. While there are definite benefits such as zapping yourself to the first Olympics or Hawaii, it isn't always easy and it only gets harder when the new kitten (which is not a kitten) arrives.

I loved this book after reading 2 pages and had to restrain myself from running to the computer to purchase it. I managed to finish the book and then put it on my order list but just barely. My favorite things about this book include:
  • filled with smart words like confound, levitating, vermin, and disenchantment;
  • Mrs. Linegar is the perfect name for this teacher;
  • Munch a.k.a. Lazarus, the younger brother;
  • a plot that assumes we readers are intelligent even if young;
  • the way historical events and time periods are interwoven and will spark curiosity;
  • and the Beverly Cleary/Judy Blume feel of the book (just good old fashioned modern writing~ that makes no sense but read it and you will understand the feeling).
Rhonda Hayter's website (linked here) includes a teacher guide perfect for book club conversations. I can't wait to see what happens next for this author or for my copy to arrive so I can share it with the kids.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment